Saturday, February 9, 2013

More food

Even though I may bash Pinterest for giving people inferiority complexes, I do like to steal ideas.  Especially food ideas.  And, luckily, I have yet to be disappointed.  Or just have good stealing skills.  One or the other. The latest dish I made was a take on Mongolian beef in the slow cooker.

The original recipe is as follows (from SixSistersStuff.com):

Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds beef flank steak, cut into stir-fry sized strips
1/4 cup cornstarch 
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded carrots
3 medium green onions, chopped

Directions:
Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place cornstarch in a bowl. Coat each piece of steak in cornstarch and place in crock pot. Discard any remaining cornstarch. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over beef in crock pot. Cook in crockpot on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. Serve over rice, topped with additional sliced green onions.


Now, I wanted to use the plethora of venison I have in my chest freezer (seriously, about 70+ lbs of it).  And, this seemed like a wonderful platform for it.  So, as follows are my edits:
1) I used 2.5 lbs "venison steak" (the "" are because that's what the nice butcher man stamped on the paper...I think it might be from the ham?  It had a cut bone in it, if that helps anyone)
2) I used fake ginger and garlic....ie, the powdered form.  I thought we had real garlic, and we didn't.  And, I don't use ginger ever enough to warrant getting the real stuff.  Powdered stuff tasted fine to me!  I used about 2tbsp of each.
3) Since I used more meat, I used 1c each of the liquids.
4) Didn't have green onions, but had a yellow onion!  Ergo, used the yellow onion.
5) Why do you need the cornstarch?  I sure didn't use it.
6) Served over yellow rice....yum!

I would just like to say holy yumminess flying nocturnal echo-locating mammal man! (let me know when you get it....)  It came out sooooo very tender and yummy and juicy and flavorful and...yum!  If I didn't know what the origin of the meat in there was, I would never know it was venison.  This definitely gets filed under Pinterest win as well as being incorporated into our family cookbook.

In other food news, Sophia was hanging out with me this morning, and I made cinnamon sticks (they came with a frozen pizza, and we didn't eat them....they seemed to be a good breakfast food).  I had brought them into her room so she could play in the warm, baby-safe room and I could eat my breakfast.  She bee-lined it over to me and was fussing, so I picked her up, at which point, she dive-bombed my plate.  So, I let her have a corner of my cinnamon stick (no icing, I'm not that bad thank you very much!) to see what she'd do.

Corner of bread is in her hand

I think she'd eat her hand if it would help....

I think she liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment