Tuesday, March 26, 2013

New favorite snack!

I have a new favorite snack:  roasted chickpeas.  Now, let it be said that I am NOT a bean person.  I hate the mouth-feel of all beans....kidney beans, black beans, pork 'n' beans.  Been there, tried that, nearly vomited.  NO thanks.  But, when I went to visit my bonus sister (I know, I know, that post is coming, I promise), she had this snack.  She does the "eat all natural, organic only, good for you" thing, and is a maestro (maestra?) at freezing food and making freezer meals.  I'm a bit jealous.  Anyway, she was showing me her handywork, and we opened a cabinet, and she pulls out a jar of what looks like peas, but not green, brown, and tells me I have to try them, they're roasted chickpeas.  I was hesitant, because I know that chickpeas (or garbanzo beans if you prefer) = icky, yucky, disgusting, horrible mouth feel.  But, I was brave and tried one.  Then I tried about 50 more.  And later, more.  Because these do not have that horrible mouth feel.  They are yummy and crunchy and spice-a-licious (yes, I just made that up) and...heavenly.  I put a significant dent in her jar of them.  Not bad for a bean hater, eh?  I decided I must.know.now how to make these, so, awesome bonus sister that she is, took me to the co-op thing to get more chickpeas (she gets them dried in bulk.  Genius!) and proceeded to show me how to roast pre-hydrated chickpeas.  I got to take some of the dried ones home to make my own.  Oh, the excitement!!


If you would like to play along at home, here's what ya do:
1.  Get access to hydrated, cooked chickpeas (from a can'll do)
2.  Season them.  Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, creole seasoning, greek seasoning, heck, I'm sure ginger powder would give an interesting taste.  Whatever you like.  If you're looking for tame, stick with garlic and salt.  Want more kick?  Go the creole seasoning route, or even chili power or red pepper flakes.  Be adventurous!  You get all these yummy spices to stick to your chickpeas by mixing them in a bit of olive oil.
3.  Roast them!  Sheet pan, 375-400 degree oven, hour-ish, "stirring" occasionally.
4. Eat the deliciousness that results.  


My remaining chickpeas.  They'll be gone soon, I'm sure.  This is the only glass jar with a lid I had, and it's one of my favorites, because it reminds me of a wonderful day in my big rower's life: her wedding day!  I was so honored to be a part of her big day, and I love that I have the memory of it in these jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment