Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Changing times + a yummy recipe

What started out as a blog to document Sophia's growth (and spare Facebook-land with all these updates!) is now wishing to morph into a how-to-documentary-crafting blog.  Don't ask why, 'cause I don't know.  There's things I wanted to share here, but didn't, because it wasn't immediately Sophia-related.  So, for you readers (*cough* mom *cough*) who are here for Sophia updates, never fear!  They'll still be here.  But, you might have to sit through a recipe or two, or even a craft tutorial, just because I feel like including them.  I realized how much fun they are to write when I got the opportunity to write a guest post for a mom-community blog, sharing, what I think, is a pretty awesome recipe that I made up.  And then I thought, why don't I share it here?  So, share I will.

It's for cereal-crusted French toast (for the bigger kiddos/adults) or French toast sticks (for the littler kiddos)

Here’s what you’ll need:
  • Fruity cereal (think Flinstones-themed fruity cereal)
  • 3 eggs
  •  ½ to ¾ cup of milk, depending on preference
  • Texas toast (for sticks) or regular bread
  • Non-stick spray (optional)

Here’s what you do:
  1. Smush up the cereal.  This is a great job for kids to do.  You'll need between 1-1.5 cups, depending on how much you're planning to make.
  2. Mix up the eggs and milk in a low sided but wide tupperware-esq container.  This makes for easy dipping of the bread.
  3. Pour the smushed cereal on a plate or other flat surface.  The counter may get a bit messy if you chose that, though.
  4. Dip the bread first in the egg/milk mix, coating all sides thoroughly.  If you're making French toast sticks, cut a piece of Texas toast in thirds, and coat each stick separately.  
  5.  Spray a pan with the non-stick spray, and have it hot and ready on med-high.  Put the coated bread in the pan
  6. Flip when the cereal starts to caramelize
  7. Cook the other side until caramelization.  For the sticks, you can cook each side.
  8. All done!  Eat! (once they're cool, that is.)

I mean, seriously?  This may be my new favorite way to eat French toast.  Though, dripping in butter with about a pound of powdered sugar is still a close second.

Check out the food photography skills!  

Sophia approved! 
(ahem, just ignore that super messy counter in the background.  That is not the droid you are looking for)


Want to read the post I wrote? (disclaimer: it was an advertisement-type post)  Check it out here.  Sophia's basically famous now, but luckily my messy counters aren't!




No comments:

Post a Comment